How to run VS Code on Android ? Have you ever wondered, how you can install VS code in android ? If you are interested in programming you may know about Visual Studio Code by Microsoft. VS code is a feature rich code editor, in which you can write your code and it is used by so many programmers and coders.
But sadly, VS code is only available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS. It is not available for android but, we can also run Vs code on android very easily. So if you wish to run VS code on android device stick with me to the end of this article. In this article, I’ll tell you how to run vs code on android ?
Install and Configure VS code
To install VS code in android, first we need to install Termux application in our device. So, download and install Termux from F-droid, DO NOT INSTALL TERMUX FROM PLAYSTORE.
To know the reason why I'm not encouraging you guys to download Termux from PlayStore, check this article :- Termux 403 Forbidden Error & Repository Down Or Under Maintenance Error
After you’ve successfully downloaded and installed Termux, follow the steps below to install Visual Studio Code in android :
- Launch Termux application, and type
apt updateto update the list of packages.
proot-distropackage by typing
apt install proot-distro
apt install proot-distro
- After installation is completed, list all available distros to install using
- You can install any distro you want from the list, by the way we are going to install Ubuntu. So type
proot-distro installand then alias name that is
proot-distro install ubuntu
- After it is installed, type
proot-distro login ubuntuto launch ubuntu
proot-distro login ubuntu
- In Ubuntu system that is installed in Termux, copy paste the command below to update the list and install wget package
apt update && apt install wget -y
- Then, copy paste the following command to download code server.
wget https://github.com/cdr/code-server/releases/download/v3.11.1/code-server-3.11.1-linux-arm64.tar.gz --no-check-certificate
- Extract the tar file using
tar -xvfand file name.
tar -xvf code-server-3.11.1-linux-arm64.tar.gz
Run Visual Studio Code On Android
After the extraction is completed, you’ll see new directory named code-server-3.11.1-linux-arm64. Change the working directory to code-server-3.11.1-linux-arm64 using
- Get inside bin directory that is in code-server-3.11.1-linux-arm64 directory.
- Set password for your VS code using the following command
- Launch the VS code by executing code-server file.
- Now open any browser in you phone and visit
http://localhost:8080to use VS code in your phone.
- In password section enter password and then submit. Congrats ! now you must be seeing VS code in your browser.
So this is how you can install and run VS code in your android phone with the help of Termux application. If you are going to use this thing, I would recommend you to get external keyboard and mouse for your phone. Because using this thing without external keyboard and mouse can be pain in the ass. You can also watch my YouTube video that will be uploaded soon on installing visual studio code on android.